Llandoger Trow, Bristol
The Llandoger Trow is a wonderful Grade II* Listed terrace of 17th Century timber-framed houses at the end of King St in central Bristol. Originally the pub of that name was in No 5, but it now occupies all the surviving three buildings (3-5), numbers 1 and 2 having been destroyed in the Blitz of 1940.
After as spell of several decades as a Berni Inn, the rather ham-fistedly supported but at least still standing building has reverted to the more conventional pub scene.
To the rear, almost enclosed by the back of the 1980’s attempt at Victorian red brick sub-warehouse style Premier Inn (owned by Whitbread, buyers of Berni Inns) is an ill-lit low-ceilinged infill which we propose to replace with a more generous, higher and lighter space and a brand new bar running the full width of all three buildings. This new configuration allows the original plan of each house to be revitalised as well as offering much improved level access from Charlotte St.
The new bar will add capacity, currently rather inadequately provided by a single small bar in the middle of No 4, and allow the re-instatement of the room arrangements of the original houses.
With the help of the Conservation Officer and Historic England, a program of repairs and selected demolition has been agreed so that work can begin while the Applications make their way through the system. Again a decision is not expected anytime soon.